Thursday, November 23, 2006

If I Did It II

I've been writing about metal alot of late. Listening to it, too. But I've been hearing the fruits of the recent past and discussing the future, for a Decibel piece about 2007's 25 most anticipated albums. Speculative criticism is enormously fun, but avoiding ruts over the course of 20 100-word, reflection-conjecture combos and five 300-word microfeatures is a bit of a challenge--the kind that demands a radical approach. It's entirely possible that I might have taken notes, then written the whole thing with Opeth's "Ghost of Perdition" on repeat. I'm not saying that I've done that. But what if I did, and it worked out for the best? It wouldn't be the first time.

I did something similar a few years ago, reviewing a British Sea Power album while, again and again, "Automatic Boys" by Lola Ray blasted behind me. It worked out beautifully. I knew all I needed to know and more about the album I was reviewing, including that I'd need to be immersed in something way more sonically and psychically robust to write about it without trainwrecking jokes. Thanks to the redeeming power of pop punk, I put in just enough, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home